One of the goals of Go Portola is to identify areas in which we, the present and future Portola community can have a positive impact on the school. These areas of interest will be identified through communication with Portola faculty and staff and by the comments generated on this webpage. We will create new pages/blogs within this webpage as information is generated. If you are looking for ways to get involved, we encourage you to take and issue and run with it!
Here are some potential ways to get involved:
- School Board Liaison – Scan the School Board meeting agenda for topics pertinent to future, potential, or current Portola families. Attend the School Board meetings. Create a School Board blog and update the website regularly. Find meeting information here.
- Facilities Committee Liaison – Attend facilities committee meetings related to the construction of the new building. Update the website with all new information. Find meeting information here.
- Contact School Board members to advise them about this group and learn more about The Middle School Initiative and how its implementation might affect Portola. Find School Boar contact info here.
- Learn about a district online program called “Power School”. This tool may be useful to Portola students and parents if fully implemented. Update the website regarding any further actions which may be desired if the program is not already fully implemented. Start your research here.
- Attend meetings of the Academic Subcommittee of the School Board and update the website with any new information. Find meeting details here.
- Connect with the Portola Middle School Librarian, Ms. Bogey to see if parent help is needed. Find her blogs about books and the Portola library and report back. Start your research here.
- Volunteer with the Writer Coach Connection. This program is being implemented at El Cerrito High School, with hopes to expand into Portola Middle School. There is a volunteer training at the end of August! Go to www.writercoachconnection.org for more information.
- School Site Council Liason – Attend School Site Council meetings. Update the website with new information. The 2010-11 School Site Plan can be found here: Portola School Site Plan and Test Scores 2010-11.
- Join the Parent Academic Rigor Committee. For further information contact Sally Fraser: Home 510 528-8353 Mobile 510 295-8041 email@example.com.
Other ideas? Interested in taking on any of these tasks? Post your thoughts in the comments section, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.